What are the symptoms of a UTI?
In the early stages of a lower UTI, you may feel:
- Sudden and extreme urges to void (pass urine)
- Frequent urges to void
- Burning, irritation or pain as you void
- A feeling of not emptying your bladder completely
- A feeling of pressure in your abdomen or lower back
- Thick or cloudy urine – it may contain blood
As the infection progresses, you may experience:
- Pain in the lower flank, part of the back where your kidneys are located
- Nausea and vomiting
Seniors may not show any of these signs or they may be too subtle for someone else to pick up. An added symptom among this age group is confusion. Often, if a senior’s behavior changes suddenly, they may have an undiagnosed UTI.