Teresa Eoff


On Friday July 7, 2017, I woke up with a sore throat. I gargled with salt water and went to work. I was fine working during the morning. I decided to walk to Starbucks to get a Medicine Ball tea to calm my sore throat which was burning pretty bad. I came back to my desk 10 minutes later and after a few sips of my tea began vomiting profusely for a continuous hour. I laid on the floor and told my coworkers “I felt like I was dying.”

I called my husband and asked him to come to my job and get me. He arrived 30 minutes later. It took him 30 minutes to get me in the car due to my lethargy. The vomiting did not cease. I asked him to take me home to rest. I vomited until I fell asleep. My husband and kids watched me sleep. He was terrified. I was completely oblivious to what was going on. Very limited consciousness. He says I was losing my bowels and he had to keep cleaning me. He took me to the emergency room first thing in the morning and they immediately took me in and attached me to multiple machines to help me. I told them my throat was burning like crazy and they told me it was the least of my worries.

I spent my time in ICU with my young children and husband by my side and all of the nurses were extremely happy, positive, and upbeat. I had no idea that my organs shut down and I had gone into septic shock for a period of time. (Sepsis and Septic Shock) I was covered in tubes and cords trying to understand what was happening to me and if I was going to die. The doctors were researching and trying to figure out what bacteria caused me to be this sick. Meanwhile in ICU everyone was waiting for my organs to return to functioning capacity.

I was given every antibiotic possible until they could determine which one was working and so they could save my life. On day 4 once my kidneys returned to a certain percentage I was moved to a step up out of ICU for hospital care. The staff was not as positive there and by now it was explained to me what was going on. I was not sure how long I would have to be hospitalized. On day 5 the lab discovered strep A in my blood which may have transferred from my sore throat that I mentioned previously. (Sepsis and Strep Throat, Sepsis and Group A Streptococcus) They identified the correct antibiotic to remove the infection and once my organs reached 100% capacity I was released. Once released I did have a walker until I was strong enough to walk. I had migraines, and severe bowel issues. I was left with PTSD which I did go to therapy for, severe nerve damage, brain fog, and fibromyalgia. (Sepsis and PTSD) I am grateful I did not lose any limbs or have even more damage. I eventually had to leave my job but ended up working in my passion as a floral designer. I would not wish the lasting pain I now have on anyone in the world. I wish I had gone to the hospital immediately after leaving work on the 7th. Response time is critical with sepsis. Know the signs and act immediately!

Send us Your Story
Learn More about SepsisSupport Faces of Sepsis