Betty Lott


It was six years ago in March 2018, at the age of 67, that I went into septic shock. (Sepsis and Septic Shock)

I had been having multiple UTIs and going to the walk-in one time, my primary gynecologist, etc. So, I guess no one was really keeping track of the number of episodes. (Sepsis and Urinary Tract Infections)

I was at at my granddaughters’ flag football game and was not feeling well. I thought maybe I had a kidney stone or infection but just did not feel well in general. I was in touch with a nurse friend and complaining of feeling sick but not sure of what it was. She suggested the walk-in as it was late by the time the game and dinner were over.

When we arrived at the clinic at 8 in the evening, it was packed, as it was still flu season in South Florida. I told my husband to just drive to my nurse friend’s house where we could figure it out. By the time we arrived and settled in I was feeling much worse. My girlfriend, husband and my own husband were very concerned as they continued asking questions but they became especially worried when I stated that maybe I should call an ambulance and then proceeded to violently start throwing up everywhere.

The ambulance arrived quickly and I do remember speaking to the paramedics. However, even though my friend told me later, that I was talking to her and everyone in the ER for the next few hours, I have no recollection after the paramedics.

I went into septic shock and was put on a vent at some point early next morning. Evidently things went from bad to worse as all of my organs began shutting down. To this day, I remember nothing but hallucinations while hospitalized until they brought me out of it after about a week. I then remained on the vent while slowly awakening from the drugs.

By Easter, April 1st I was still very groggy but started being more aware of surroundings. Many memories of that time of awakening still fill my mind with the kindness and love from friends and family. Even though I was still in ICU people were dropping in and out constantly.

The day they finally took me off the vent was a joyous day indeed. A couple of days after that I was sent to PCU then rehab. It was very hard work as I pretty much had to start again and in the midst of a great fog and depression.

I had so many who encouraged me and loved me through all of this that I have to count myself blessed. I was told I would be in rehab for close to a month but I managed to get to the car and get in (the test ) after a week’s time.

Of course, all this time I was being picked up for dialysis at the hospital four days a week. I continued to go to the dialysis center three times a week for five months until they were able to take me off because it was trauma and not illness that had damaged my kidneys. Thank God my kidneys do work although maybe not that well.

I continue to see my nephrologist, cardiologists, endocrinologist, urologist and psychiatrist.

The next year, in September of 2019, my high school boyfriend and husband of fifty years, died of suicide.

And by late February when I was on my way to my youngest son’s wedding, the pandemic stopped me mid trip. I had to go home without seeing my last child married and then mid pandemic when he and his wife’s baby came I did not see her for six months.

Of course that is another whole story.

Needless to say, things have been surreal and painful. I sometimes wonder if I am losing my mind and physically I am not so great either.

I do think about going to Mayo Clinic for observation from all the doctors there. I feel like my specialists don’t always communicate.

I am told how lucky I am to have come out of this experience alive with all my limbs. I am very grateful but still feel things aren’t especially right. I really don’t know if it is all the extenuating circumstance or something to do long term with the sepsis.

So that is my story. Betty

Send us Your Story
Learn More about SepsisSupport Faces of Sepsis