How Can You Help?
Share your StorySupport UsGet Resources

Zoe Taylor


Hello everyone, I am 21 years old with 2 kids, a 3-year-old son and a 7-month-old daughter. So on November 29th 2017, my fiance tried to get me to call off of work again because I have been sick for 2 weeks straight, but it just seemed like a cold, except for the fact that when I coughed I started coughing up bloodyish brown stuff. I was going to go to the hospital after work but I kept telling my fiance I couldn’t call off again. He was so worried because now not only was I sick, but I was going to work, and I couldn’t breathe. So after being at work for a bit, I finally couldn’t handle it anymore. My heart was racing so fast and my breathing it was like I was hyperventilating, and asked if someone could fill in for me the rest of my shift.

When the other person came, I decided I was just going to drive to the emergency room that was about a half hour away instead of the closest one because it was closer to home for my fiance to come. I’m not even sure how I made it there being in the condition I was in, but when I made it to the ER I let them know how bad I was and they still had me waiting in there for about 2 hours before I just signed myself out and my fiance drove me to the nearest Medwell, which is like a faster emergency room. As soon as they saw me they took me back, they checked my oxygen and heart rate, and looked at my fiance and said they had to call the ambulance to take me to the other emergency room, that my heart was beating like 3 times its normal amount and my oxygen was so so low.

After going in the ambulance and being run into the ER, I don’t remember anything after that until I woke up 11 days later with feeding tubes and tubes down my throat. They told me that I was on life support, that they didn’t think I was going to make it, it was a miracle I was here. That they haven’t seen someone that bad the doctor’s whole career. I had pneumonia and sepsis in both lungs. (Sepsis and Pneumonia) I had pus and water in my lungs. I had a chest tube put in to drain all the fluid in my left lung, my right lung didn’t have as much fluid, I never had any problems with my heart before, but when i woke up my heart rate was always up. One time it went up to 170, but my stay in the hospital lasted almost a whole month. Luckily I was able to go home before Christmas for my kids, but now I’m home on a pill to make sure my heart rate stays down and I have a PICC line in and have a little pump that distributes the strongest antibiotic they have to me all day all night 24/7 until the end of January.

Today was my first doctor’s appointment since I got out and my infection is still there and she can tell I still have water in my left lung but other then that she thinks I’m doing okay, other then she wants me to have a CAT scan next week to make sure there isn’t too much water in my lung. This stuff is scary stuff and my fiance and the doctors and everyone just says how lucky I am to be alive. I’m so glad I found this page! Thank you everyone for your stories

Send us Your Story
Learn More about SepsisSupport Faces of Sepsis