Statement on Juneteenth from Sepsis Alliance
June 16, 2021
This Saturday is Juneteenth, one of this nation’s oldest celebrations, commemorating the emancipation of those who had been enslaved in the United States. As events of our more recent past have thrown into sharp relief, racial injustice in this country did not end when slavery did. Today, as individuals and as an organization, Sepsis Alliance is reflecting on the current state of racial inequities and injustices in the United States, and what part we can play in achieving a more just nation for all.
Systemic racism and racial disparities permeate every aspect of our society, including healthcare and sepsis care. That is why Sepsis Alliance has made sepsis care equity a major focus of our work and achieving it a key measure of our success. In addition to working towards better amplification of Black voices in our communications, we have committed to fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion in our educational offerings (for the public and for healthcare providers), in our advocacy initiatives, and in our organizational structure. We aim to help close preventable gaps in sepsis outcomes across racial and ethnic lines and to do our part to lessen the disproportionate burden of sepsis on communities of color, and specifically Black communities.
We encourage our supporters to take action today in support of justice and racial equity in healthcare. Listed below are several organizations that work to ensure all people receive quality care. You can learn more about Juneteenth at Juneteenth.com.
- Black Health Matters: https://www.blkhlth.com
- Black Mamas Matter Alliance: https://blackmamasmatter.org
- Black Women’s Health Imperative: https://bwhi.org
- Community Campus Partnerships for Health https://ccphealth.org
- Center for African American Health: https://caahealth.org
- The Center for Black Health & Equity https://centerforblackhealth.org
- Crescent Care https://www.crescentcare.org
- National Birth Equity Collaborative: https://birthequity.org
- National Reach Coalition: https://reachcoalition.org
- Prevention Institute: https://www.preventioninstitute.org
- Satcher Health Leadership Institute, Morehouse School of Medicine: https://satcherinstitute.org
- SisterSong: https://www.sistersong.net
- The Cross Cultural Health Program: https://xculture.org