Anything You're Looking For?
The inaugural Celebration of Sepsis Heroes, held in 2012, honored five people and organizations for their work in raising sepsis awareness. One honoree was Spike Out Sepsis, an annual event that raises sepsis awareness and funds for Sepsis Alliance. Co-founders Jennifer MacDermott and Alicia Rendon, both nurses, accepted the award.
In 2013, GE Healthcare Education Services was presented with a Sepsis Hero Award because of its push for sepsis education in their Nursing Library of Online Education, including their video Communication: Sounding the Alarm for Sepsis. Their work has allowed nurses from all over the world benefit from information that they may otherwise not be able to access. GE Healthcare also provides scientific posters and professional education sessions about sepsis at professional conferences, such as at the American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
Other nurses who were awarded Sepsis Heroes awards include:
- Tom Ahrens, PhD, RN, FAAN, 2016.
- Susan Irick, RN, 2015.
- Laura Messineo, RN, MHA, 2014.
- Helene Zehnder, RN, 2014.
National Nurses Week
In 2015 and 2016, Sepsis Alliance celebrated National Nurses Week by inviting members of the public to nominate a nurse who they felt went above and beyond to help patients with sepsis and increase sepsis awareness and education in their facilities as well as the community.
Here are some of the exceptional nurses who were nominated:
- Gina Reitman, RN – Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers
- Valerie Nerenberg, MSN, RN, CNL – Kennedy Health System – Stratford
- Peggy White, MSN, RN, NEA-BC, Kennedy Health Care Center
- Irina Budykhina, RN – Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
- Sue Siranni, DNP, RN, ACNP-BC, ANP-BC, CCRN – Sinai Grace Hospital
- Johanne Charleron, RN, MBA – North Shore LIJ – Franklin Hospital
- Valerie Danko Pasnau, RN, MSN – Vibra Healthcare
- Kathy Madlem, RN, BSN – Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
- Frank Azzaro, RN – Cerner Corporation
- Jennifer B. Clarke, RN – Presence Health
- Helen Thompson, RN, BSN, CCRN – Community Memorial Hospital
- Tara Crockett, RN, BN, CHSE – MSC
- Mark Blaney, RN, BSN, CEN – CHI Franciscan Health
- Jamie Roney, RN, MSN – St. Joseph Health System
- Amy Greene, RN – CHS NorthEast
- Alexandra Hinds, RN – Carolinas Healthcare System University