Angel C.


My story begins with a UTI I ignored. (Sepsis and Urinary Tract Infections) I took a home test that came back positive but since I was busy at work, I figured I could just drink lots of water and I’d be fine. Ironically, I work at a hospital so yes, I knew better. Nevertheless, I ignored it for almost 2 weeks. On the day I decided to see my doctor, my dog suddenly had a seizure, so all my attention went to her. That afternoon, I started feeling tired, so I went to the urgent care center down the street from the emergency pet hospital.

I was prescribed antibiotics, but I didn’t realize that by then I was too late. I started feeling cold and had chills later that evening; I’d never shaken so hard in my life! I didn’t sleep much that night and I woke up feeling worse. I toughed it out all day but that night, I had a fever of 103.5! The violent chills continued as did the fatigue. I started breathing rapidly, couldn’t control my fever and noticed some of the nail beds on my hand were turning purple. I couldn’t stand it anymore, so I asked my husband to take me to the ER.

I received IV antibiotics after they did blood draws and other lab tests. I spent the entire night hooked up to an IV pole feeling profoundly tired, but it was impossible to sleep. I was discharged in the morning and was told I’d get a call if anything appeared on the urine or blood cultures. I spent the entire day in bed unable to shake the simultaneous exhaustion and restlessness. As the day went on, I started to wonder if I had sepsis. Sure enough, a very concerned physician called me that night urging me return to the hospital immediately. She confirmed the blood tests showed I had sepsis.

Back I went to the hospital, where the first doctor I met told me I was the least septic-looking sepsis patient he’d ever had. Indeed, nobody could believe I had sepsis; I looked healthy and cracked jokes with the staff. We all knew, however, that I went to the ER in the nick of time because I didn’t have to go the ICU and was hospitalized only 2 days.

I eagerly returned to work a few days after I was discharged, but it took some time to feel like my old self again. My energy levels were slow to return to normal, but I was fortunate that I never experienced a decline in my mental state. In retrospect, this ordeal was totally preventable, but it never occurred to me that a UTI could turn into sepsis. I emerged from this experience a little wiser and much more cautious. Please don’t take your health for granted because it’s easier to maintain it rather than get it back.

Send us Your Story
Learn More about SepsisSupport Faces of Sepsis